Afterschool is seeking an experienced scenario designer for Cantata.
This role will focus on creating the campaign maps for Cantata’s single player campaign. You will work closely with everyone on our small team to make the vision of the game come to life through strategic and tactical battlegrounds that you imbue with a sense of the mysterious and profound. Candidates should be proficient and well versed in not only thinking about strategy game design, but have a proven track record of success when it comes to working inside a systems and mechanics driven context and delivering compelling gameplay (in either board games or videogames).
This is a remote, contract role (with a soft preference for EST timezone) and can be negotiated to be part-time or full-time.
- Create scenario maps for Cantata’s campaign, the centerpiece of the game
- Leverage Cantata’s core strategic and tactical mechanics to create scenarios that are mechanically compelling, surprising, flavorful, and distinct from each other.
- Contribute creatively to the design process, keeping an eye towards game balance and complex unit interactions.
- Work closely with the team leads in order to make sure the created scenarios represent the best of everyone’s work.
- Dress designed levels with scenario-appropriate aesthetic details.
- Help make the modding tools better by suggesting features and workflow improvements.
- Shipped at least two games (videogame or board game) where you had a similar role, or equivalent experience in modding communities where you were/are a well-regarded scenario designer.
- Experience creating multiple distinct scenarios from a single gameplay system
- Experience pairing strong narratives with mechanics. You should be able to think in systems while still maintaining a strong narrative throughline.
- Strong sense of aesthetics, as you’ll also be making the levels themselves look great.
- Self-motivated and communicative team player with a strong work ethic
- Strong sense for gameplay balance and design and able to leverage analytics data to improve maps.
- Knowledge of common patterns and pitfalls in strategy and tactics game design
- Passionate about both strategy board games and strategy videogames.
- Able to work in a remote environment
Nice To Haves
- Some technical expertise in using game creation or modding tools
- C# coding experience (this role does not require coding)
- Experience working with Unity’s UI
- Likes weird sci-fi stories
Some reference points for us are the board games Inis, Undaunted: Normandy, Root, Twilight Imperium, Gloomhaven. For videogames, Northgard, Company of Heroes, Advance Wars, Factorio, Civilization.